Gartner released Top 10 technologies at 2010
Gartner, the leading marketing analysis and strategy firm, released its newly-brew TOP 10 technology list today. They are:
- 1 Cloud computing. Cloud has been the top buzz-term in the past months. Gartner raised it from No.2 at 2009 to TOP1 at 2010. With no doubt, this statement will be quoted by tons of articles and vendor solutions in the following seasons.
- 2 Advanced analytic. I would rather explain it as data correlation and data mining tech. This seems to be similar to “business intelligence” (No.9 at 2009).
- 3 Client computing. Mostly client computing is critical for the security impact to the whole Internet.
- 4 Greet IT. It was No.1 at 2008, and No.10 at 2009. Anyway, it’s a concept, containing a lot of technologies, customs, culture, etc.
- 5 Reshaping the data center, with new designs and approaches that include building out incrementally in pod-based approaches, adding only power, chillers and generators to support initial needs.
- 6 Social computing. It has been deeply involved into daily life. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- 7 Security activity mornitoring. A variety of complimentary (and sometimes overlapping) monitoring and analysis tools help enterprises better detect and investigate suspicious activity – often with real-time alerting or transaction intervention. Personally, I think this is similar to the No.2.
- 8 Flash memory. It’s a new face to TOP 10.
- 9 Virtualization for availability. While virtualization has been melted into cloud computing and other diverse areas, Gartner leaves “availability”.
- 10 Mobile applications. No comments at this moment. There have been a lot of developers and app stores you can find at the web. It reflects the hotness.
It’s interesting to retrospect the TOP 10 list for 2009 by Gartner. They are:
- 1 Virtualization.
- 2 Cloud Computing.
- 3 Servers — Beyond Blades.
- 4 Web-Oriented Architectures.
- 5 EnterpriseMashups.
- 6 Specialized Systems.
- 7 Social Software and Social Networking.
- 8 Unified Communications.
- 9 Business Intelligence.
- 10 Green IT.
The below is the Gartner TOP 10 Tech for 2008:
- 1 Green IT
- 2 Unified communication
- 3 Business process modelling
- 4 Metadata management
- 5 Virtualization 2.0
- 6 Mashup and composite apps
- 7 WOA – Web Oriented Architecture
- 8 Computing fabric
- 9 Real world web
- 10 Social software